Hosting facilities are an essential component of any distributed e-science infrastructure. The DARIAH-DE hosting works with virtual machines. This is comparable to well-known commercial cloud server services, but DARIAH-DE attaches great importance to the needs of the humanities and cultural sciences thereby. The offers are integrated into specially designed care and support services, as well as in the overall infrastructure of DARIAH-DE. So they have a domain-specific focus and thus generate synergy effects for the various forms and cooperations with DARIAH-DE. Insofar the services provided by DARIAH-DE are not a general hosting offer, but they are explicit for the DH community and thus for research and teaching.
The computing and data centers involved in DARIAH-DE bring their many years of experience.
The hosting environment of DARIAH-DE includes:
- Access to virtual machines with pre-installed and configured operating system
- Virtual machines for test purposes and production services
- High-end resources (computing power, memory, network)
- Basic configuration of the systems (firewall, etc.)
- Integration into the DARIAH-DE monitoring
- Backup of file systems
The underlying infrastructures are offered by leading German computing and data centers:
- Gesellschaft für wissenschaftliche Datenverarbeitung mbh Göttingen (GWDG)
- Jülich Supercomputing Center (JSC)
- Rechenzentrum Garching (RZG)