DARIAH-DE in Kürze
DARIAH-DE in brief
DARIAH-DE operating cooperation
DARIAH-DE supports research in the humanities and cultural sciences with digital methods and procedures. The research infrastructure of DARIAH-DE consists of four pillars: teaching, research, research data and technical components. As a partner in DARIAH-EU, DARIAH-DE helps to bundle and network state-of-the-art activities of the digital humanities. Scientists use DARIAH, for example, to make research data available across Europe. The exchange of knowledge and expertise is thus promoted across disciplines and the possibility of discovering new scientific discourses is encouraged.
The DARIAH-DE operating cooperation continues the services developed in the context of DARIAH-DE III.
- Operations coordinator: Niedersächsische Staats- und Universitätsbibliothek Göttingen
- Cooperation partners: 16 national co-operation partners from the humanities and cultural sciences, as well as information technology, including universities, libraries, computer centers, non-university research institutions, academies of sciences, and a commercial partner are currently working together in the DARIAH-DE operating cooperation.
- Running time: until February 2021
- Objectives: To support the research and teaching carried out in the humanities and cultural sciences with digital methods and tools, as well as their further development; Networking of different disciplines of arts and cultural sciences; Encourage the exchange of resources, methods, data and experience by developing a digital research infrastructure.
Exceeding the horizon of traditional questions in the humanities and cultural sciences is possible through the digital representations of cultural expressions and artefacts that have been available for more than a decade.
You can find our profile as a DARIAH-EU-Partner here.
2. Tasks and Services
Within the framework of the DARIAH-DE operating cooperation, the participating partners offer different services that can be assigned to six task fields:
- Creation of materials for teaching, workshops, TG trainings, online tutorials, OERCommons, DH-Tech, bibliography, TaDiRAH taxonomy care
- Publications: Working papers, blog posts etc.
- Workshops on the DARIAH-DE services
- Organization of conferences and presentations at topic-relevant third-party conferences, user meetings, documentation of best practices, user scenarios, guidelines, workflows, style guide
- Public relations: social media, blog editing, website editing, flyers, etc.
- Assessment (Service Lifecycle)
- Account and ticket Management
- Provision of own data
- Research and description of data collections
- Expert workshops
- Consulting ("On site", specialist community, specialist information services and specialist societies, projects)
- Office (incl. coordination of the operating cooperation, cooperation with CLARIN-D within the framework of CLARIAH-DE)
- Organization (incl. Administration)
- cooperation requests
- National Coordination (representation NCC)
- Management of Virtual Competency Centres (VCC)
- Working Group
- Entry Maintenance for the Course Registry
With DARIAH-DE, the vision is to create a space for research in the humanities and cultural sciences in Europe and Germany, as it has been built up and used in the natural and applied sciences for decades by many researchers and institutions. The use of state-of-the-art technologies provides a unique opportunity to open up new ways and opportunities for cooperation and research to the arts and cultural sciences.
Research infrastructures are not a static product, but rather a continuous process driven by research. This process involves the networking of the scientific community among themselves and with computer scientists and information scientists. As a result of the ongoing paradigm shift in the humanities, DARIAH-DE is also a major concern to contribute to its competitiveness and connectivity in the international research context by developing a modern research infrastructure for the humanities and cultural sciences, as well as the European research area and thus actively participate in DARIAH-EU. Inspired by the developments in the natural sciences and applied sciences, there is a growing need for spiritual and cultural sciences as well as new paths in addition to traditional research paths.
Although some research questions can still be answered very well using traditional methods, others which can be made useful by the newly available research objects and resulting data, need new methods for their processing and new tools for analysis.
The governance structure of the DARIAH-DE operating cooperation consists essentially of three bodies:
- The DARIAH steering committee is the joint central decision-making body at cooperation level. It is in constant exchange with the CLARIAH-DE management team.
- The DARIAH-DE-Coordination Office coordinates the DARIAH-DE operational cooperation and is located at the Lower Saxony State and University Library Göttingen.
- CLARIAH-DE consists of partners of CLARIN-D and DARIAH-DE and is in constant exchange with the DARIAH-DE steering committee.